Yoga Teacher Training
2015 Wild Open Heart Yoga Teacher Training
March – December 2015
200hr and 300hr options
Join me for this nine month, 200 hour distillation of everything you need to know to be an amazing yoga teacher and wellness coach in your community. This unique opportunity for a highly personalized mentorship in yoga and ayurveda will be limited to a small group of dedicated students. The combination of webinar and in-person meetings is designed to be accessible to working Mainers living across the state.
Because of the small group size this course will be highly customized to meet your specific needs. The plan is to cover the most common modern health and wellness issues including:
- Migraines, insomnia, depression and anxiety
- Digestive issues, low energy and hypo or hyper immune issues
- Menstrual, peri-menopausal symptoms and hormonal imbalance
- Neck and jaw tension
- Shoulder, elbow and wrist injuries
- Chronic low back, hip pain and sciatica
- Foot, ankle and knee injuries
- Core weakness (including incontinence)
- Balance and injury prevention
- Palliative and complementary care for cancer and auto-immune diseases
Learn the time-tested framework of Yoga and Ayurveda to improve wellness in body and mind. Use the therapeutic principles of Yoga alignment and Ayurvedic life style to help yourself, your family and your community thrive!
This small-group training will be highly customized to help you gain the specific knowledge and strategies you are most interested in. The foundation of this course is a close mentorship with Charlotte. For this reason only highly committed, intellectually curious and motivated students will be admitted to the training. You do not need to have an advanced asana practice to participate in this training though you will be expected to maintain a regular daily meditation and asana practice throughout the course (~30 minutes a day).
In addition to learning the modern physical postures of yoga you will also be thoroughly immersed in the historical conversation of yoga philosophy. At the end of the training you will be well-prepared to thoughtfully add your own voice and practice to the colorful mandala of the ever-evolving yoga community.
I have designed this training to work around student’s far-flung geography and work/time constraints. We will meet in person as a training group for a minimum of four Sunday classes between March and December. Other opportunities to gather for special sessions will be dictated by the needs of the group. Wednesday evening meetings will be by conference call/webinar. We will meet every other Wednesday March – May and then again October – November with a few group check-in calls during the summer. In addition to in-person meetings we will also use an online forum to discuss assigned readings, recordings and videos, submit homework assignments and converse socially
The first call will be March 4th.
The first Sunday meeting will be in April, TBD by group availability.
For students who have not participated in a previous 200hr Yoga Teacher Training:
- 100 hours of asana practice time – this will be a combination of attending Charlotte’s public weekly classes, documented home practice and with other teachers by special arrangement .
- 24 hours of lecture via conference call (also recorded for downloading.) These will primarily be on Wednesdays from 7:00-9:00pm. Lecture topics include philosophy, anatomy and physiology, meditation instruction and Ayurvedic practices.
- 10 hours of teaching observation – either Charlotte’s public weekly classes or by special arrangement with other teachers.
- 20 hours of group class devoted to asana break down and therapeutic practices. These classes will take place on four Sunday afternoons between March-December, dates to be determined by group availability.
- 25 hours home study – homework assignments (reading, movies, writing, etc.)
- 10 hours practice teaching, small group work and community outreach.
- 10 hours special interest studies -guidance on working with special populations, developing an advanced practice etc.
For students who have previously completed a 200hr teacher training and would like to complete their 500hr level training.
I am offering this option for teachers who would like to advance their studies with me and also work toward their 500hr. certificate. This is a highly individualized program. In and addition to participating in and acting as a discussion/practice mentor for the 200hr program above, we will discuss your particular interests and the logistics for completing the remaining 100hrs of study.
Upon completion of the above courses you will receive a 200hr or 300hr Yoga Teacher Training completion certificate from the Wild Open Heart School of Yoga. This certificate can be used as proof of training for teaching Hatha Yoga (therapeutic and vinyasa style) at studios and gyms around the country as well as for obtaining fitness instructor insurance.
A deposit of $800 is required to register for the course. The remainder can be paid before April 1, or in installments as follows:
April 1, 2015 $500
August 1, $500
October 1, $500
Cost includes 50 public classes with Charlotte. (The equivalent of one 5-class pass per month for nine months).
The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners by Jack Hawley
Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by The heart of the yogi: The philosophical world of hatha yoga by Doug Keller*
Yoga As Therapy Volume 1 by Doug Keller*
Ayurvedic Tongue Diagnosis by
Reading from a variety of other sources will be assigned throughout the training as well.
*Books by Doug Keller can be ordered here. Only Volume 1 of Yoga as Therapy is required but Volume 2 is highly recommended as a personal resource for your yoga library.